Friday, February 29, 2008

29 Days of Lupe Fiasco: G.O.A.T.

It's actually quite simple.

No. Given Lupe will finish with three albums, half a dozen mixtapes and a collabo album, in CRS, it's not enough material to claim G.O.A.T. Every detractor will stake this claim. And they're right. Being the greatest means long lasting greatness. Would Lupe so sound ill in five years? Will his Cool schtick run its course and grow stale? I dig the Cool movement, er, the anti-Cool movement BUT could Lupe be tight without the Cool? I think he's so good that he could leave the Cool shit behind and make great music. It's just that he'd actually have to demonstrate that to us. Ice Cube was a beast and was Gangster Rap's Icon in the early 90's. Then he went Hollywood, made kiddie movies and so-so albums in between (I wouldn't know, I never let my ears listen the War & Peace volumes). In '95 there may have been claims of Cube slapping his sticker atop the halls of greatness. Eminem's first three albums were progressively better but his fourth was a clunker that killed his career (and Kim and his mental state etc., etc.). Papoose was supposed to be the next best but he oversaturated his own hustle with those mixtapes (see today). Wackness can strike the best of them, really. Right now I'd doubt it would ever happen to Lupe because he's far superior to each of them. But we never know until time plays out. Since he'll be gone before there's that possibility of sounding wack, I can't give him the spot. As much as Jay Z overuses it, and as much as some of the projects were regular, he did come for 12 straight summers (or however long).

Yes. Those arguments are about the only knocks on Lupe. The lyrical prowess he posesses is--his only competetion is Jay Z. I'll just be simple. It's either him or Jay. Lupe is just about as smooth as Jay is on the delivery. Other than that he's got: content, connection, quality over quantity. I've never heard a weak track from Lupe. Jay still makes goofy club songs and some of the beats he chooses are terrible. Lupe may not need a beat. Sometimes I listen to Jay for the beat ('I'm sorry, what you want me to do?'). Fuck the only three albums shit. He's had top notch mixtapes and features. A great rapper doesn't need to show up 12 summers to be tight. Whatever Lupe was done so far, he's smashed the competetion. The trilogy will be in my stereo 30 years from now. Lupe's down to Earth. Jay can be an asshole, talking about Warhols in his halls ("Ain't I")? Get the fuck outta here. Jay has never spoken to me. While the Cool movement doesn't necessarily pertain to me, I still find a connection to him. He's had a profound impact on my life, on the way I think. Jay... Pahhlease! Very few musicians of any genre have done meant something to me. Tupac is probably the only rapper that has affected me previously. He'll go down as not only the best rapper ever but one of the best musicians ever. Lupe is my ideal vision of a rapper. I'd never thought I'd find it but I did. Thirty years from now, we still won't find another Lupe. His nonchalant attitude, exibited most of the times, is a huge plus; he's been able to carve out a G.O.A.T. spot without the fanfare. My favorite thing about Lupe's music is that it hits on many levels. You want conscious, you got it. Ditto for an MC, personal connections (he's at my level), beats, when I want to sing along or just have background music, in the ride--Lupe is good anytime, anywhere. I could listen to Lupe with a splitting headache. 29 days of Lupe is like giving 29 reasons why Lupe is G.O.A.T. Move over (and tighten up the tie) Jay, you've kept the seat warm long enough. Why do think I spent an hour plus everyday writing about dude? He is, and will be, the Greast of All Time... EVER!

9 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lupe has etched his spot in the game. I think the amount of albums he's made doesn't really matter (Big is still heralded by some as GOAT even with only two albums). Personally, I think it boils down to three people...
Pac
Joe Budden
and Mr. Fiasco
and betwen those I really can't choose...
I never really got how Jay gets mentioned. He's made wack songs and is completely one dimensional...
Anyway... great blogs!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Agree...sooner or later Mally might be up there...jk

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G.(L).O.A.T is where Lu deserves to be mentioned, the L is for lyricist. I personally wouldn't put him in the G.O.A.T. run due to his lack of personal attatchedment to his work.
Not to be confused with lack of personal work, cuz he has this, in part cause he is a gr8 story teller. Bt when u can give the world that "dear mama" or "suicidal thoughts" u've as they say in basketball, "left it all on the court".
I think his skill is a gift and a curse. His drive to not be vunerable to any haters saying he's "dumbing it down" leans him more toward the robot side and takes away from compassion on the track. "Ghetto Story aka Steady Mobbin", "Tilted pt3" and his best attempt at being human, "Hurt me Soul" are by far my favorites, and they r nowhere near the cool in lyrics.
All said, Lu is a King in his own right. He publicly brought awareness to the already soft spoken MC's with content. I listen to Lu daily. Wouldn't want him to change his style, and take nothing away from him...respect.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree as well on that too...

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger The Major said...

I agree with the GLOAT, we never know what's good with him--it's usually a story/assumed.

As for Pac & Biggie... well for me, they died too early. I was never a Biggie fan myself but I know his importance. Pac had everything except being lyrical--and that's not necessarily a detractor. What is was his problematic personailty that most likely led to his death. It's as if he didn't need to die. As for Joey Buddens--he's there but those punchlines can be irritating and they don't equal greatness.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's good, but the crowning of him already...to each their own I suppose...decent argument though.

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad u agree. U got a point Major that his religious views probably obstructs some aspects of himself from his lyrics.

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog as for me. It would be great to read something more about this theme. Thank you for posting this data.
Joan Stepsen
Technology gadget

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Lucas said...

Agreed. Entirely agreed. I would never have been willing to even consider Lupe Fiasco for GOAT a year ago (would have gone back and forth over Nas and Biggie), but after looking at his lyrics, examining - no - studying his lyrics, I can only conclude that this man raps like no other. He can both touch the soul and knock you dead with thick, beautifully spit poetry. And, I admit, the lyrics analysis youtube videos on Fiasco's songs helped me get to this point. Amazing artist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home