Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Deep Conversation with Kelis


I was extremely lucky recently. I had this idea to interview rappers/ R&Bers on some Q&A shit. I tracked down Kelis’s PR manager and she gave me the run around for three weeks or so. But with a stroke of damned fate, MRS. Kelis has answered my questions via e-mail. Here are some snippets, the goodies!
KMAP: How you doing Kelis?
Kelis: I’m good. Just in the cut, ya know?
KMAP: It’s so exciting to be able to talk to a star, or even to that degree, a BOSS!? (um and actually I didn’t know what she meant about the cut but I was unable to get a follow-up answer to that question)
Kelis: Oh, yeah, for sure. I’ve always said don’t bite the hand the feeds you.
KMAP: The album, “Kelis Was Here,” was well received. It’s like you’re able to tease and say ‘Hey, boy, I’m an independent woman!’ How do you maintain you’re “Bossyness”, especially in a relationship with Rap himself, Nas?
Kelis: I’m a Boss and that’s it, plain and simple! I am an independent woman because I see, me and Nas have our own thing together yet live our own careers. I even told him when we met that I was a Boss. He took it. And he knew it. I actually had diamonds in mouth and on my neck too. He don’t mind neither. I order him around and I do smack him up side the head from time to time. But I never let my Bossyness take over me and run my life. Like when Nas has been trying his hardest to get back into rapping over the past years, he’s been practicing his material in my ear. Yeah, he freestyles love poetry in my ear at nights. See, my Bossyness could straight kill him. Those rhymes are wack sometimes and he could hear it from me. But I compromise and instead of me giving it to him, he gives it to me (very rarely does this happen though).
KMAP: Now there have been some beef songs about Nas, most notably from Cam’ron and Jim Jones in their rendition of, “You Can Hate Me Now”. They claim to have beat up Nas, as Cam’ron claims to, “Slap the Kufi off ya [Nas] head” and Jim Jones alludes to have given you the business. What’s with that?
Kelis: Cam and Nas happened. That’s all I’ll say. The rest of this, I ‘on’ ‘anna talk abou’ it.
KMAP: So I don’t want to sound rude or anything, but I have noticed your voice is deeper than most women, what’s with that?
Kelis: Oh no, not a problem. People seem to look like they want to ask a question about that. They hold it in though. I will assure you that my voice is man made, woman made, my bad. I never smoked squares or contracted tuberculosis. My deep, rose thorn of a voice is from Nas. I suck his cock for like four hours a day a few times a week. It really adds to my music. It punctuates what is already a great horny collabo of instruments and innuendo.
KMAP: What else do you enjoy doing besides being “Blindfolded” and being a “Boss”?
Kelis: Cooking is a great way to unfold a day in New York. I mean I wake up next to Nas and go shopping. After a strenuous day of sifting through Dior, Louis and Marta Stewart kitchen ware, I can come home and cook a soothing Mexican Hominy soup with root vegetables. I love having deep conversations with my girlfriends, but they don’t go as deep as I’d like them too. But chilling with the WOMEN is better than Moet on ice.
KMAP: An observation: I love your hairstyle!
Kelis: Oh, yeah how can you not! It’s so much up keep, though I tell you. I go to Jon English in Manhattan and Harold does such a great job. I give him two gerbels for a tip and he continues to do a fantastic job. Although, I am getting kind of tired of the red and short hair. I’m sure Harold and the gerbels can think of something even more avant-garde and 80s as is the Kelis.
KMAP: So what do you and Nas do when music doesn’t take over your life?
Well, we have deep conversations, from time to time. Ah, I mean we can have deep conversations though, like any time. The other day we say this one thing on the news about this shooting down in Queens. Like, it just sparked a discussion on inner city youth and the correlation with crime and economic background. I mean they can get deep, believe me. We can just stare into each other’s eyes for hours spanning Allah, God, him and me, the trees, chickens, love, I mean you name it, tangible or intangible we are on a level together. And that level cannot be reached. I’ve tried with other men and I mean Nas may not be BALLIN’, but definitely when we stare into each other’s eyes we see the profoundness of the life we’ve lived 10 times and the life we have yet reached. Like I said they’re DEEP!
KMAP: Thanks and much love, ugh, Kelis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home