Thursday, March 29, 2007

Mellencamp is the One-Phrase Man


During a recent interview with singer/songwriter John Cougar Mellencamp, who has been rocking out for decades, Mellencamp dodged questions to some statements he made that contradicted his “American” persona. For the past decade he has aged without getting much notoriety. His last dip into popularity was his song “Wild Nights” with Me’shell Ndegeocello. And then last summer he spun a new hit “This is Our Country” which has been swooped up by the bald eagle himself. Nevermind the vagueness of the song, “Our Country” has been stamped and approved by Americans as the patriotic jam of 06/07. Chevrolet lamboasted it all over its commercials last Fall. Mellencamp became a huge hit once again as his song was played at NFL and NASCAR events. The song was supposed to exude patriotic fervor from a true blue American himself. Oh, on the contrary:

Jim Hightower, of MSNBC: Yeah, hello there Mr. Mellencamp. Love your music. As you know, though, I do have a few questions. How have you come up with this song?

JCM: Ah, me and the boys went down to Akron, O-high-O and we got together, had a little fun in the sun, got Kan-tuck-ee burboun and got this ditty out. It was such a beautiful American anthem—
JH: But Mr. Mellencamp, excuse me, but if I am not mistaken, you are not for this America, this Bush Administration’s America?
JCM: “This is Our Country”
JH: Ah, I understand. Sensing your crowd, I can tell you do not want answer such a question as it could alienate your paying audience. So, to the reports of you joining the Dixie Chicks on their upcoming tour?
JCM: “This is Our Country”
JH: Okay? I will try to change the line of questioning if you can change your line of answering. I’ve heard reports that you’ve boycotted Walmart?
JCM: “This is Our Country”
JH: You don’t go to church every Sunday, do you Mr. Mellancamp?
JCM: “This is Our Country”
JH: You don’t like Chevy, you hate them. I bet you own a Toyota? A Tundra! With torque!
JCM: “This is Our Country”
JH: I knew it! Mr. Mellencamp, you can’t answer every damn question with the title of your song “This is Our Counrty”!
JCM: ‘Fraid so James, “This is Our Country”

2 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You really shouldn't post about something you know nothing about. Do some research next time, before showing your ignorance.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger The Major said...

First off I make jokes here, satire. I laughed at it many times, I mean c’mon “You own a Toyota, a Tundra, with torque!” how is that not funny? I am positive Mellencamp is pretty liberal minded and more so he is a working man’s rocker. Speed up to Chevy and the song. “This is our Country” is extremely vague and it’s patrioitic to a point; it rallies everyone, no matter the party line, into a numb, follow-me chant of America is good. The patriotic-ness comes off as arrogant to me. It was on NFL and I’m sure NASCAR and MLB all season long. Who watches those events? Americans and again no party line although most sports fans consider themselves AMERICANS (emphasis)! I find Mellencamp’s sell out to Chevy (and maybe he didn’t have this in mind and what I am then mad at is how Chevey spun it) absurd. The commercial displays the arrogant nature of pussyfooting, or what this Administration has patented. Their disdain for admitting wrong has become an American trait; in order to be patriotic you have to hide your faults. Thus I make Mellencamp pussyfoot. I’m countering that Mellencamp has to save his ass. He’s mistakenly made a patriotic song that’s been taken out of context and now he tries to mend. The people he trusted, his fan base, is irate that he has differing view points. But he is American while parts of his conservative fan base would be quick to claim “he’s working for Al-Qaeda!” I exaggerate but it isn’t too far from the truth.

The Chevy commercial message, to me, is that “This is our Country” empowers Americans to buy and support American endeavors. Men and women across the nation put blood, sweat and tears into everything that is Chevy. Then how come Chevy’s are poor cars? How come jobs are being cut? Now I’m not speaking true facts yet in Minneapolis the Ford plant assembly unit was cut and a great number of jobs are now lost. To whom or what? Again I have no facts. Yet I can infer with confidence and say Chevy corporate needs to balance their budget, i.e. save their ass and get paid. So the joke here is in fact that this is our country, that saving one’s ass and pussyfooting is American as apple pie. For all that is good about America, there is plenty wrong and to releazie how the US got to its position in the world makes you want to vomit. Because Mellencamp teamed with Chevy, or so it seems, the whole “This is our Country” we are American and proud, is yet another big fat lie. If you want to be patriotic and American, you don’t have to say it in my face.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home