Monday, June 11, 2007

4 days without Weezy* and I will not reconsider


Now that’s called abstinence. Tell the Pope about me, go ahead. My ears have yet to hear Sir Weezy*’s school girl laugh and lewd, if not crude, lyrics that “leaked” onto the most recent Carter 3 Sessions. I got the tape, yeah, I mean c’mon, who hasn’t, Gillie? But if he was out, you know even he couldn’t resist. I’ve only re-listened to the tracks I’ve heard from weeks before, plus the intro and outro. The intro has him saying, “The Carter 3 will be out, I don’t know, sometime middle of next year.” That better be a nice joke. I am abstaining from anything Weezy* until The Carter 3, the official, retail version is in my hands. Only then will my craze for Weezy* rise or drop like mercury (rhyme courtesy of Weezy*, haha, ya dig!)

See, I still buy CDs, RIAA! Let’s see what else I’m abstaining from. But before that you may be asking why not listen, it’s free. We should know that artists do not get a great percentage of their profits from album sales (the record companies et al do) but through side ventures, i.e. touring and oh, yeah, my phone’s ringing “Diamonds on my damn chain!” Plus while it’s easier said then done to get anything these days, more and more I am realizing the ill fates that the internet has on rappers’ lyrical abilities. Great examples are Weezy* and that specimen, Pap. Too much material! I’m so used to their styles/flows I can cover for them. I still love to place a record on and let it play for an hour; no pressing buttons, just listening, vibing, closing my eyes and drifting away. While very few rap albums ever have captivated my attention all the way through, it happens even less often nowadays. And no, Tupac, Hennessey don’t help.

Joell Ortiz. I am sorry. I have yet to pick up the Brick. While I’m sure I’ve heard of most of the album, I still would like to support him. I haven’t downloaded it. Nope. Chalk another tally in the abstinence column. Mos def for the Aftermath project though. I’ll get the Brick eventually. This may be a lie, or just wishful thinking.

Fabolous. I remarked a few weeks ago to friends that Fab’s album was shaping up to bring some sure needed heat. I’ve never been a Fab fan; I can dig him in small doses. That Loso’s Way or whatever tape he had last year was real nice. I was disgusted with his 04 “Breathe” release. Terrible if you ask me. This time around, I read a review that summed up my feelings: too many features, pretty sharp production, too many lady geared tracks, the Old Fab and yet he Nothin to say; the album was devoid of any personal insight.

Tum Tum. I know you’re thinking what or even who the hell? But I’ve been following Tum Tum since 03. He’s got bumpables. He’s silly as hell in his music but I enjoy him a good deal. Eat or Get Ate, it’s about time to have a little Tum Tum in the catalog.

T.I. The whole multiple personalities thing is pointless and is telling of how much goofiness T.I. can get away with. I wasn’t big on “Big Shit Poppin’”; it was a good song, just not a single (maybe like a 4th single). But I still think he’s the closest thing to Pac in the sense he retains his “hood” qualities while being a chart topper. I’m not hating (cuz he’s getting paid for this) but hanging out with JT is questionable; not gay whatsoever but it’s like, dude, you gotta do this for sales? People are saying he may be in decline. There are questions to his music as well as he has yet to deliver a stand out album. I agree but believe his best may lie ahead. I’m subscribing that T.I. vs TIP will not be his best; it wont surpass the King probably in part because of how much “What You Know” did for him. T.I. is on probation for me until I get the album.

UGK. I’ve heard of them since 96. It took me until 05 to give their actual music listens; I admit is was the “Free Pimp C” campaign that got me to listen. Pimp’s style and twang may annoy more often than Game's
cries, when he hits, it is a wonderful thing. And there’s really no comparison for Bun’s ‘zak. Although he did get very tiresome in early 06, and it showed that he may not be able to carry a solo career as well as thought, he still can wreck it. And the other day Cipha Sounds hit Bun on the head: “He’s on 100 remixes right now.” With that said this double album, Underground Kingz, is a must for me. And already it’s sounding like it’ll be living up to my expectations.

Common. What can I say? I didn’t cop Be. I’ve already slapped myself many a times for that slip in social etiquette. Finding Forever will be great. Although I’ve heard most of his album over the last month or so, I’ve sent a cease and desist on any more Common songs until July 31st.

Kanye West. People, go ahead hate. Kanyeezy may get help with his rhymes but his heart is where it’s at. When I first heard “Thru the Wire” I was a fan and I copped College Dropout opening day. To me, Kanyeezy has progressed; Late Registration was better than College Dropout. Yeah, I said it and I meant it. And I expect Graduation to be even better. I’m only going off “Can’t Tell Me Nothing”, the “Stronger” snippet and the two year old “Bittersweet” snippet.

Papoose. Nacirmea Dream from June to August. Hmm… Papoose to Africa doesn’t sound so off, does it? I have soured on his style and rhyme schemes. The material he releases has saturated. And I question whether or not he can convert his mixtape albums into a real album sound. I don’t think he can and that’s why it’s taking so long; Jive wants a scripted single. But whatever Pap delivers, I’ll be sure to get. It will be a long time coming.

Saigon. Last week he vented on The Greatest Story Never Told, not being released because of Atlantic’s antics. Back in 05, Saigitty was the best. But I cooled off real fast. But I’m still going to swoop like Sheryl when the Greatest Story Never Sold drops. Saiiiiiigon!

Elz. What the Game’s Been Missing wasn’t that bad. It didn’t have great lasting ability but for 8 months he was able to entertain me. So with that said The Regan Era and the Back Like Cooked Crack 4: Rehab should do the trick again. The Rock Star phase is irritably corny, and Jimmy Jones helped corrugate this part of Rap’s history along with Elz's “Harley Davidson” talk. I can only take so much of Elz’s etchy rhyme scheme and what he’s been saying lately has been grosser than the shortness of his jeans. I didn’t know Elz wore designer male Capri’s? If only he’d pull em up. Lest I say: I am a Dipset fan.

The Weezy* and Elz collabo. Nice segue. I’ve been waiting for this for almost two years now. First I heard it was a Jeezy and Elz collabo tape. Then it switched to Weezy*. Then last May that “I Can’t Feel My Face” track dropped. I was hooked. The prequel tape released last August was more like a meth addict’s face; I mean, it hit the ground fast. I’m sure if Weezy* ever puts that syrup down and stops “feeling like dying” he’ll muster up the motivation to make it to a studio session sober.

Joey “the Jump off” Budden. Forget about the Growth; let’s get him to release Mood Muzik 3. I don’t think I have to explain to any Budden fans what the third installment means. If you have never considered what Budden has had to say, well then you may leave this site immediately.

Skyzoo. For some reason it seems he’s still unheard of. Why and how. I don’t get it either Skyzoo. If Cloud 9: the 3 Day High is any indication, Skzyoo can come correct for an hour. Speed up 6 months and that hour will still be there. His smooth style overall just means that the Corner Store Classic may indeed be a classic.

That’s all I can think of for now. Either albums that have release dates or shits that I’ve been waiting for. Damn I feel like an abiding Catholic for abstaining. It is hard. If you can excuse my innuendo, I invite you to join in the abstinence. I’m not saying I’m going to pull an AC Green and never download another thing. It’s just that waiting makes it all the more better. At least I hope so... If my incorrect English doesn’t faze you then this plea will: don’t do "it".

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger fuckgoogle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger fuckgoogle said...

Lupe, Nas and Hov. You pretty much summed it up though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home