Saturday, June 02, 2007

Lebron James Has Arrived

Move “the next Jordan” and settle on Lebron; his flight wont leave for another 10 years plus. While his city of Cleveland is not a major market and his team is non-existent, Lebron has proved he does not need them to catapult into greatness. And it wasn’t his 48 points Thursday night that made me believe or his scoring the last 29 of his team’s 30 points—so wait he, alone, beat the Pistons in both overtimes? Lebron has been 6 years in the making, you know, ever since his face was plastered on the cover of SI as a junior in high school. So I guess this should have come a year or two ago. To say Lebron is already in his prime is eerie; at 22, he is playing at his best.

The Pistons luckily took Games 1 and 2. I said, “I told you so”. As good as Lebron is, his team is too weak and he will need some help. Plus, it’s the Pistons. Vets, good defense, size, muscle, range, decent clutch players. Defense. After viewing the games, though, I’ll retract “size/muscle” for bulk. Webber’s a punk; Rasheed is a complaining hobo; McDyess has shown some ferocity but he’s still undersized; Maxiell is just a body. The new number 23 decided to take over all by himself. Like who can count on Donyell? Or Larry? Or even Damon? I, for some reason that I will not explain, missed most of the first parts of the games. Catching the 2OT game I noticed Lebron’s real magic. It’s not all the practice in the gym, his “j” or his dunk game; it’s his wicked body build. At 6’8”, he’s got the abilities of a 1, 2 and 3. Tayshaun Prince was put on Lebron duty and, with his gangly, octopus appendages, he thought he could stop him. But no. Lebron’s sizable first step towards the basket is the defining moment in every play. That separation leads to him completely penetrating the Pistons’ bulwark and slamming it so emphatically that he almost hits his head on the backboard. Even trapping Lebron didn’t work, as he just ran around and popped a three or a long two.

Am I saying that Lebron and the Cav-less Cavs will win tonight? No, not at all. I’m still doubtful that the Pistons will roll over. Trust me, I realize what Lebron does. But he’s going to have to show me (again) what he’s got
.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home