Saturday, August 18, 2007

Spread: Question

Question has come to the plate quietly and delivered. While I do not agree with his "Future of the South" moniker, I give him a nod for persevering without a helping hand. Four things come to mind when I think about Question.

Effort. He tries and it shows. When you look at rappers claim this and that and how they're the shit yet it takes forever to release material; Question talks but backs it up. He's far from the best and I've never been like "oh, shit" with anything from him. But he comes a little different every time. And he rarely sounds stale. I never think to myself "this dude's white" when I'm listening because he's very regular in demeanor and he himself doesn't make a deal about it. His actions push that image out of your mind.

Grind. He may receive attention for being white but that is as much of a detractor too (See: Vanilla Ice, Paul Wall and the White Rapper Show). Other than that gift and curse, he hasn't been given a plug from any major DJ or artist. He shuts up and puts out material all on his own. And he fully claims San Antonio, because they're are a lot of rappers who aren't from Houston who attach themselves to H-Town to gain recognition. From my knowledge, he's released four tapes (I think he's got more?) full of mostly original material all in 06 (except Kush 2008). While he has been quite this year, he's still keeping things moving.

Lyrical. He's different, you'll notice on the first listen. The story telling ability from Question is a good look, especially from a Southern artist. Although I dig this part of Question, he doesn't know when to stop. He can go on for five minutes and after three minutes I've lost him and from then on I'm like, "dude's still going?" I wish he was more concise. Instead of just spitting bars, edit! He's quite literal and I was under the impression that he would try to play with words because he's always claimed different--an East Coast--influences. Has he gotten better? Yes and no. There have been only a few tracks that he's bodied and those are older. But on his latest material, he's able to construct better songs that have cool hooks as well as decent verses.

Beats. Again, nothing from Question has struck me completely, both for lyrics and beats. His production is clean though. It's got that Southern, if not Texas, sound. It's simple but has bang. But it never supersedes his flow and lyrics. I like it that way because it puts the spotlight where it should be: the rapper. The beats are a reason I can put on Question for more than a song or two and ride, chill or get me moving/singing along.

Question isn't the best and I don't want to count him out but he's probably not going to change all of a sudden. That's fine. He's shown he can come correct and offer something different. For Texas music, that's commendable. Give this tape a chance and let me know how you feel about him. I've got two of his tapes, I Am Question and Midget in the Trunk, hit me up if you want them too. Anbody got Kush 2008 or Neighborhood Disturbance?

Question Future of the South

Question's MySpace

The only Question video I could find...


DISCLAIMER: ALL MUSIC LINK POSTINGS ARE FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. IT IS ADVISED TO DELETE FILES AFTER 24 HOURS. THIS SITE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING AS IT ONLY PROVIDES LINKS.
SUPPORT: EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE FREE, IF YOU'RE FEELING WHAT'S ON HERE, GO COP IT! THIS SITE IS HERE AS A CAUTION/PREVIEW. I DON'T BELIEVE IN SUPPORTING GARBAGE!!!
CONTACT ME: kiss.my.assplz@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home