Tuesday, May 22, 2007

9th Wonder Runs Dry

“I was sifting through my crates the other day and I picked up the “O Jays”. I looked at it, the cover and the back. I put the record on, sitting back and relaxing. And then I thought I should really make a beat from this. But I soon realized I already have. I was a little ticked off. I flipped through the entire record and to my recollection I have used all the songs for samples. I was about to challenge myself to make a different sample from the song until I broke down and cried. Man that was hard. I took a look at my records and I have sampled every one of those things, from start to finish. Like, I’ve ran myself out of producing. I mean, c’mon, what would a 9th Wonder beat sound like if I didn’t use a sample? So I tried to sit down and construct an original beat, sans samples. I couldn’t do it; it just didn’t sound right. I’m exhausted. It’s like what do I do? I sampled soul records for-like-fucking-ever and it seems I’ve ruined my own career. What, like I can just go and sample some stupid shit nowadays? Get outta here! I think I might officially retire. I could go back to school? Nah. Learn some new producing techniques? But I’m so stuck in my current ways. If I’d just tooken my DJ Rude’s advice of “Diversify”, I would have still been in this thing. Take that “Freda Payne” and that “Earth, Wind & Fire”! Damn, I just broke my prized vinyls! Fruity Loops and the Stylistics only take 9th Wonder so far!”

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger jon jon said...

9th Wonder, lookin' for beats to jack!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home