Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spread: Mydus' Jay-Z The Black Album 1.5


Oh, no, not another Jay-Z mash-up production. Am I right?

Well, at the worst, it's another excuse to hear the best. When Mydus, a Miami producer, sent me his new tape, Jay-Z The Black Album 1.5, I was skeptical. You sort of get attached to things you like, love. The original Black Album's production is near and dear to my brain. And to be honest, a Jay acapella CD would still be great.
I gave it a listen. Sometimes the beats Jay gets have too much going on (see: Jus Blaze's "Show Me What You Got") and thereafter it can become laborious to listen. The beat should not have priority to the rhymes, more so, when it does have priority, it can create chaos to the ears hence why I can't listen to the back end of Kingdom Come. The sound on this tape creates space for Jay and his voice is allowed to shine. Take "PSA" for example, I can't get enough of it. With Mydus' version, it allows me to hear the lyrics clearer. The beat creates a leisurely mood so Jay may enter. And the mood ain't bad. There's a theme to this project; the jazziness creates softness. "December 4th" opens my eyes, literally. The smooth animal sounds in the background feel like morning. The loud strings while the chorus of "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" complements the lyrics well and it's on par with the original (I didn't care for the original). I swear when I listen to Mydus' "Allure" and "Moment of Clarity", Jay's all dapper in some Purple Label, with an older lounge band, playing for shoppers on the first floor of a Macy's store. I eagerly waited to hear what Myuds did for "99 Problems" because that original beat just hit me and got a good grip. Mydus' "99 Problems" is Heavenly. Listening to Jay's problems here, mine float away. It was a nice opposite of the original, gritty rock-infused "99 Problems". "My First Song" is reminiscent of a swan song. Although I felt the back end of tape falters a tad with "Lucifer" and "Justify My Thug" but I may be biased because I did not feel these songs in the first place.

It's definitely worth a listen because the production does stand on its own. While I don't think any of these surpassed The Black Album's originals, Mydus was able to show Jay in a new light. The relative quietness of the production unearthed a new side to Jay's universal vibe. And it'll be a nice remix tape in the stash. Relax with Mydus' Jay-Z The Black Album 1.5 because you're "now tuned into the muthafuckin greatest".

DISCLAIMER: ALL MUSIC LINK POSTINGS ARE FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. IT IS ADVISED TO DELETE FILES AFTER 24 HOURS. THIS SITE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING AS IT ONLY PROVIDES LINKS.
SUPPORT: EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE FREE, IF YOU'RE FEELING WHAT'S ON HERE, GO COP IT! THIS SITE IS HERE AS A CAUTION/PREVIEW. I DON'T BELIEVE IN SUPPORTING GARBAGE!!!
ANY BROKEN LINKS? WANT SOMETHING THAT’S DOESN’T WORK AND NEED IT RE-UPPED? WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING/ REQUEST SOMETHING? FEEL FREE TO POST A COMMENT AND I WILL TRY MY BEST.
NEED MORE: NO RECENT POSTS, TRY MY LINKS @ THE RIGHT SIDE/BOTTOM.

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good stuff, Major!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home