Saturday, February 24, 2007

Tim Hardaway’s New Book “If I Was Straight, Here’s How I Would Do It”


And, apparently, “he wants the world to see”—his straightness. After comments last week on former NBA player, John Amechi, coming out, Tim Hardaway, another former player, honestly stated, “I hate gay people.” Book publishers now have hawked Hardaway for rights to his side of the story. His book, which should hit stores in weeks, tells of Hardaway’s hard struggles, within himself, to be straight in such trying times for straight people, especially in such “heterophobic” atmospheres such as professional sports. Part of the book intertwines his daily journal on the NBA grind. He usually remarks on how difficult it is to live in his body. One account had him questioning his sexuality, “Today, me and Mullin [former Golden State Warrior Chris Mullin] touched private parts. Dear God, it was an accident. We both ran for the ball but toppled each other and landed in the missionary position. I felt his pelvis and for that instance and that instance only, I felt my whole being. Was I gay, I must admit his pelvis and man pouch/bladder and connecting cock were such a nice sensation rubbing against my flaccid head—it was nothing I’ve ever felt before; it was unabashed kinkiness. Linda [his wife] never made me do that!” Later, he wrote off his “sexual awakening” as what “they” want me to feel.

Certain excerpts have Hardaway recalling, “You see males, day in, day out for like 20 years. Since I played ball [basketball] in high school and all the way through the NBA and even celebrity golf tournaments, I’ve had constant contact with males. Most of the males in the league [NBA] are muscular, virile—even godly men. I mean, trust me, I’ve showered with ‘em all. They’re well endowed, pecs that peck you in the eye and buns of steel. I’ve felt so many men up and they have me while routinely playing ball. I feel so violated. It’s like why can’t we play against women? It’s like, ah! I’m in a living hell, a gay hell, if that! Players run around slapping each other, coaches slapping player’s asses, ref’s asses, I mean there’s so much pressure, so much temptation. One individual has to be steadfast and determined not to turn gay. They mock you, harass you, breath on you, with those sweaty, sweaty guns. I just wanted to assure everyone that I’m straight and I am proud. I feel, in this day in age, as a hetero black man, I can come out and express my sexual orientation. Some may hate me, but I suspect they hate me for my courageous honesty. I suppose players, had I confided in them, while playing, of my straightness, might have distanced themselves from me.”

Later, at a press conference he was grilled for his mock of Amechi and lack gay empathy, “Oh, don’t give me that. God made me straight and he told me to go tell it to the mountain. I find all this controversy despicable! Can’t a straight brother catch a break. Accept me for who I am, a…” At that very moment someone interrupted and offered back, “Bigot.” Tears welled in Hardaway’s doggy eyes. He plainly stated, “It looks like we still have a long way to go. Straight people will have their day in the sun, I’ll see to that!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home