Friday, July 27, 2007

Remixing the Remix Part 2

Kia Shine, LL Cool J, Young Buck, Swizz Beatz, E-40, Slim Thug Jim Jones & Remy Ma "So Krispy"
Kia Shine’s “So Krispy” Remix reeks of a phony plea for spins so much so it made me pull the red flag and write about remixes. “So Krispy” was cool when I first heard it; the beat made the song. But after a few weeks I thought “So Krispy” embodies not only Kia Shine but the whole industry’s feelings: it’s all about how much you paid for your Bapes. Plus, he’s Master P ugly. The first song from his debut, Due Season, must not have been getting enough spins. Kia Shine claims his record company, Universal, paid for the beat, done by Play n Skillz, for 20k. Then around May Universal paid Chuck T and a few DJs to place Kia Shine as a host on a few mixtapes. Mistah Fab jumped on the track not too long ago, and I don’t know if it was official, but that did not work. After Universal pushed Due Season back to next Tuesday, I'm sure they've felt it necessary to get Kia on a super remix... but LL Cool J's going to rescue Kia Shine? The remix isn't that bad at all but at six and a half minutes, the artists compete at who's the krispiest. I think LL won because he named every thing he had on.


Hurricane Chris, Jadakiss, Game, Boosie, Baby & E-40 “Ay Bay Bay”
I know I liked the song for a few weeks when it broke back in Janurary but I soon grew tired of this nonsensical baby talk. Of course though, it gained national attention. Hurricane Chris needs this remix so much so they shot a video some weeks ago. The other day, I finally saw the whole video and started laughing because nothing happened and I am still wondering why Hurricane is standing on train tracks and what is that “Ay Bay Bay” dance—shookin and jivin! I guess it works… at pissing people off. I haven’t heard an outcry to publicly lynch a rapper in a while. But in this case, we should lynch his cohorts as well for stooping so low.



Da Shop Boyz, Weezy* & Chamillionaire “Rock Star”
I felt as if the regular version did damage on its own. The Rock Star movement has been popping up for a while now within Rap circles. But I never thought some group (or record company, mind you) would be so flagrant with the making of this song. I’m surprised that Jim Jones wasn’t added onto the official version and that the respectable Chamillionaire came on board.

Wes Fif, B.O.B., Weezy* & Remy Ma “Haterz”
The original had a techno infused beat and was relegated to the club. In an effort to gain attention outside of Florida and Atlanta, Wes Fif and B.O.B.’s management must have called on Weezy* to do the trick. It’s still early and although I liked the original, this remix has been re-mixed with some bass. Yet I doubt it will go national.

Yung Berg, Jim Jones & Rich Boy “Sexy Lady”
This remix seemed superfluous. Yung Berg’s “Sexy Lady” has easily been doing well on its own the last six months. With only one song out too, I question Berg’s reasoning for his features. As an up and coming artist, you should really steer clear of Jim Jones and Rich Boy, probably two of the slowest/dumbest rappers. Well, in all due respect, Berg looks like he complements the other two accordingly—tards!




DJ Unk, Jim Jones & T-Pain “Two Step”
It’s DJ Unk: I know and I understand his lack of skills. Why do I bother calling him a rapper, I don’t know. But he fits in that Paul Wall category: I know they suck but I don’t hold them up to a higher standard. As in “Walk it Out” original, the “Two Step” original is extremely boring; it’s all hook. In a smart move, he remixed both. Dre 3000 made “Walk it Out”. For me, Jim Jones is tolerable half of the time. On both remixes, I was completely fine with him and T-Pain was real cool on “Two Step”.

Collie Buddz, Paul Wall, Shaggy, Aztek, B Real & Ray Cash “Come Around”
I never listened to either version but this song points out my theory on rallying for the new artist in Collie Buddz. His success lies with the co-sign of others. I can understand countryman Shaggy; ditto with skin color of Paul Wall; Aztek and B-Real for a Latino delegation as well as regional recognition; and Ray Cash for the American Blacks and the regular cats. I’m sure the remix served its purpose and in this case, it was warranted.



Foxx, Booise & Webbie "Wipe Me Down"
“Wipe Me Down” did not have an official remix to my knowledge as UGK reached out as label mates to endorse a street/mixtape stamp of approval. Although the trio does not think like me, an official remix—any more air time period—of “Wipe Me Down” would be overkill. Instead, they quickly profited off a hit song, just as Jeezy and USDA did with “White Girl”—they released a legit mixtape that sold really well. This is what the Shop Boyz should have done but they were thinking big. And if I’m not mistaken, “Wipe Me Down” was Foxx’s song and Boosie came to him and they redid it, and with Boosie, it became a hit.

The Next One?
Sean Kingston “Beautiful Girls”
I’ve seen Sheek and Fab go on it recently. We all know they’d never pick Sheek’s ugly ass and but Fab maybe. I believe Sean Kingston is well on his way to selling records on his own accord. It may be a decision on his part if he wants to retain some credibility rather than go for broke and be the regular mainstream artist. From hearing his poppy/reggae songs, he’ll easily appeal to a massive audience. I just thought, when hearing “Colors”, that he’d try to do both—he does call himself a “Shotta” and “Gangster”, right? Andre 3000 said he was thinking about blessing “Beautiful Girls” in a recent interview but that probably won’t help.

Remixes that have not hit
Gorilla Zoe “Hood Nigga”
The original is not terrible but there’s nothing there as Zoe never raps a verse but offers a few bars here and there. He’s the newly added member to the gangsta boy band, Boyz N Da Hood. He replaces Jeezy and I guess it’s only fitting that he takes Jeezy’s route and will use the BNDH name to further his own career. “Hood Nigga”s first remix was with Big Boi. I guess they felt as if Big Boi wouldn’t make noise alone, so they added Jeezy. I slept on it at first but adding Jeezy made it one of my favorite songs so far this year. Adding Jeezy and even Big Boi still didn’t do the trick. For the third rendition, they’ve added Rick Ross and Jody Breeze. So if this fails to get Zoe a name or spins, Zoe should hand the torch to Breeze. Just because Ryan Seacrest can be short and famous doesn’t mean that will work for Zoe.



Tum Tum, E-40 & Rick Ross “Caprice Music”
I’m sure this helped Tum in the South, Florida and Cali but it never went past the “streets”. While not a misfire, I’m sure Tum thought it could do some big things. E-40 and Rick Ross are the usual suspects. Surprising too, that Tum didn’t add a Texas stalwart for the official remix. Kiotti added himself almost immediately and Trae was tossed on long after the fact. I don’t know how Tum is received in Texas but a fellow Texan could have helped. I don’t believe the “Cap Music” remix was intended to make Tum blow; rather it was used to create a buzz for Tum’s Eat or Get Ate.


Swizz Beatz, Weezy*, Busta Rhymes, R. Kelly & Jadakiss “It’s Me Bitches”
“It’s Me Bitches” was a case of Swizz’s album being pushed back but also I thought the remix took too long to come about. Swizz should have scraped his solo version from the get go and employed Weezy*, Jada, Kells and Busta to demonstrate a strong showing. The video/single was up early and it peaked too early, before the remix cast jumped on. With the major delay, Swizz should go back to the drawing board and just DJ Khaled it from the start.

The Fixxers, Jim Jones “Werk Wit Dat”
I’m not sure if Jim Jones is official and if there’s another version out. But from the looks of it, this song definitely could have used a remix. On the first listen, you could already sense the need for help and the song itself, cries for “REMIX”. At this point though, a remix would be futile, as the song is on its downward spiral; people would not want to hear those fidgety ass instruments again.

Diddy, Keyshia Cole, Joc, Game, Big Boi & Rich Boy “Last Night”
It took this long, on the third single, for the remix king to show up? For one, the remix most likely didn’t do much for Diddy and it was probably too little too late as Press Play had already been written off since its inception. Whatev though, the remix was decent.

Alliance, Boosie, Webbie, Foxx, Gucci Mane & Juvenile “Tatted Up"
I can speak for everyone: whew! This was a close one. I’m glad Alliance blew up early on with the original “Tatted Up” because if I heard any more of this song I’d kill myself. The cast of characters is fairly weak too as it appeals strictly to the South. But, that’s a good thing, as remixes should stay within in their regions. The weak cast tells me some major rappers turned Alliance down on their offer.


Fat Joe, Weezy*, R. Kelly, Baby, T.I., Rick Ross & DJ Khaled "Make It Rain”
Even if “Make it Rain” carried Fat Joe’s whole album and image for 2007, the remix didn’t do much if any help except to nail in an annoying concept in our minds forever: throwing money in the air at strip clubs.



Three Six Mafia, Project Pat & Chamillionaire “Dope Boy Fresh”
I have three separate versions, one with each, so I’m not sure if Pat and Cham were official. “Dope Boy Fresh” is another case of an album getting delayed, as it’s been six or seven months since it first dropped. But who knows went wrong… maybe all the versions received a lukewarm feeling.



Gladly there was no “Big Shit Poppin” remix, as T.I. does not need help to sell. Also, I was thanking my lucky stars that not many chose to go over “Big Shit”. That’s probably because it was a so-so beat to begin with. I thought Fab’s “Make Me Better” or “Diamonds” would have elicited a remix yet both already had features, as well as Fab’s entire album.


Last fall through early this spring, a few songs found heavy rotation, so much so that every rapper went over them. “This is Why I’m Hot”, “Throw Some D’s”, “Fly High” and “One Blood”, in retrospect deserved to be ridden into the ground. Even with “One Blood”, it was not a bad concept to add numerous emcees. It seems every year a select few singles will have a few different official remixes.

Features Resembling Remixes
R. Kelly, T.I. & T-Pain “I’m a Flirt”
R. Kelly smartly added T.I. and T-Pain as features instead of flying solo. Anyone will listen to any of these dudes and couple that with the fact that all three dropped albums in 2007, it was a well executed plan.

Mike Jones, Snoop Dogg & Bun B “My 6-4”
An interesting note is that Mike Jones elected Bun B and Snoop Dogg on “My 6-4”. This was his third single to launch his much anticipated second album American Dream (anticipated? if you’re rock stupid!). “Mr. Jones” and “Like What I Got” did not gain steam, so Mike Jones, reeling for something, anything, scraps the whole idea of a remix and puts the features on the regular song. To me, “My 6-4” is a remix. It shows Mike Jones wanted to get a buzz going right off the bat instead of waiting for people to join. He enlists fellow Houstonian Bun B so he retains some love within Houston (does he still have some?). And Bun’s verses are reliable as much as they are predictable. When Snoop comes through, for a West Coast Delegation, like with T.I., anyone will listen.

DJ Khaled’s We the Best
DJ Khaled, T.I., Akon, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Baby & Weezy* “We Takin Over”
DJ Drama, Willie da Kid, T.I., Jeezy, Rick Ross & Jim Jones “Feds Takin Pics”
DJ Khaled’s two albums are one long never ending remix. Very few songs, other than his singles, were listenable. At six minutes, and with six rappers, you get lost fast and bored. It demonstrates an advertisement for up and coming Florida rappers. As for DJ Drama, he is attempting Khaled’s idea. “Feds Takin Pics” lost steam because of the Drama’s predicament yet I didn’t think it was all that. Both DJ’s main initiative is to push artists, for Khaled, Weezy*, the TS crew and Dade County; and Drama, Willie da Kid and PSC.

Papoose & Snoop “Bang it Out”
Pap’s new supposed single “Bang it Out” doesn’t resemble a remix yet the addition of Snoop is an obvious pratfall: do not cater to fans rather do your thing and they can decipher if you’re worth it.

Real Remixes
New York falls victim too, although it’s used correctly.

Joell Ortiz, Jadakiss & Saigon "Hip Hop"
In promoting “Hip Hop” Joell Ortiz or Dre, who’s interested to see how much return he could get with Ortiz’s upcoming Aftermath project, must have thought that he needed someone else to keep his song hot. The original was fine enough yet Jadakiss’ verse adds to the song. Calling on Saigon and Jadakiss is original and meaningful.

Nas “Where Are They Now” 90's, 80's & West Coast Versions
The one up I’ll give Nas is his massive project to remember and respect the past. His three versions, however lengthy, were a statement. This is one way remixes should be used, with an authentic and personal confliction.

1 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home