Sunday, March 11, 2007

Skyzoo’s Record Broken in 18 hours


Those of you familiar with New York rapper, Skyzoo, he is revered for his poignant story telling ability, long missed within rap circles since the beginning of East Coast hip hop. On his material he boasts to “pen his album in a week”. His “Cloud 9: Three Day High” mixtape was supposedly done in 3 days. Call it dillegince, he’s a pure work-a-holic in the making. If he can churn an album out in 3 days, my goodness what a career he’ll have? His or everyone’s, hopefully, predesscor, but for now, collegue, Jay Z, claimed higher rhyming abilities by going with the M.O. of never actually writing rhymes down; they were all in his head. Jay Z seemingly pulled that bull off, I mean he is the best, right? Tupac even, assumingly knowing his immenent death, touted his making 4 songs a day. So can Skyzoo do the same as these greats?

Wait, wait… we have received word that another emcee just broke Skyzoo’s record of an album in 3 days. Is it Kanye West? Please be Kanyeeezy, please! I’m betting it’s him. He loves to bitch, complain and boast. Oh, it’s who? Ah, of coure, Mike Jones. Who? Reports are that Mike Jones did the album in an 18 hour studio session, “Yeah, I kept on pushing my follow-up back and back. This time it wasn’t the labels fault. “American Dream” was slated to come out April 18th, 2006. That’s almost a year ago. I was ballsy enough to chirp that on one of Bow Wow’s songs. I set this date and I would go to the studio, get the beats, write my rhymes and I kept on doing that—a year and a half of that shit. And nothing worked, nothing sounded right. I finally decided to scrap it all, all that time I just took my beats, my notes and tossed em. I kept the title and with this frustration all pent up, the flows just blossomed, they really did. Like, three hours into the session, I finally hit a nerve and blam!, my grove was found. From there we [his Ice Age crew and in-house production team] just belted em out, no joke. I even had to call Slim [Thug] like at 4 in the morning to come on over and spit that heat. My boy Paul Wall was on tour but I was like,"I need you Paul!!!” Then me and my production team kicked around some ideas and we came up with Paul being on a hook saying—I aint gonna tell you. But like the song is so that Paul is like driving a truck and he’s on a walkie talkie; it works, trust me. One song is called “18” and it’s a riff on the show “24” and how I terrorize the mic in less than 18 hours. There’ll be 19 tracks accompanied by a few skits. There’s this crazy one where D-Mic, one of my homies, had the record button on and it was like, I don’t know 13 hours through, we was blunted, tired, I swear it was running off of fumes at that point, mane it’s just funny-hilarious, be sure to check that shit out.”

Mike Jones let me preview the album. Checking in at a little over 76 minutes, the songs range from trunk bangers, club jams, a few skits and some make it out of the ghetto songs. He does copy Ludacris’ formula from “Runaway Love” on “Gone Away Heart”. He starts off, “Mama left me when I was thirteen, out in the world so young, had me deliverin my own funds…” Matter of fact, the beat was quite similar, if not the same. On one song he features fellow H-Towner Chamillionaire. Chamillionaire comes hard but if I’m not mistaken, I’ve heard that verse before? Did they blend it in? I’m not judging. The skit called “Studio Time” is “funny-hilarious” and takes up 12 minutes but it is live recordings where Jones pokes fun at his whole gig, “Hey, Sonny, we doin this shit? We doin this shit! An album in 18 hours, what was I thinking?” Forgetting to mention the illustrious intro, where are my manners? His intro called “Mike Jones is Mike Jones” is a slow, enchanting choir induced piece. It starts off with one voice whispiring, “Mike Jones is Mike Jones” and it continues to build into this massive tornado of sermons upholding all that is Mike Jones. I’d like to just say, off the record, we need more people in the industry with the phenomanal work ethic like Skyzoo, er, I mean Mike Jones to produce such good music in such short times. What the fuck is a Skyzoo? No, no, no. First you must to ask: who is Skzyoo?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home